In Part 1 of this blog series, we explored the many benefits network operators will reap from Open RAN (Radio Access Network) architecture. Opening up the interfaces between the Radio Unit (RU) and Baseband Unit (BBU) allows these operators access to a wider range of hardware and software choices to prevent vendor lock-in. Open RAN also encourages faster innovation, which boosts business competitiveness. Overall, bringing the agility and rewards of “cloudification” to the RAN speeds time to market, cuts deployment costs, simplifies operations, and increases scalability. But to deliver on these benefits, operators need a solution to harness the power of O-RAN.
Fujitsu has developed an end-to-end Open RAN solution that encompasses hardware, software, and systems integration, as well as ongoing maintenance and support programs. This solution is built upon our commitment to open networking, and decades of RAN expertise. The solution features these components:
- O-RAN compliant 5G radio units – These compact, multi-band, multi-technology RUs provide a standard interface to other O-RAN compliant CU/DU, EMS, Core and OSS.
- O-RAN 5G vCU/vDU – any vendor’s O-RAN compliant vCU/vDU can be integrated with Fujitsu’s 5G RUs. Different deployment scenarios can be supported by integrating the RU with the vCU/vDU using a variety of transport configurations.
- Network automation and orchestration – Fujitsu’s cloud-native network automation and orchestration solution incorporates best of breed open source components and leverages open standard APIs such as O-RAN and TMF.
- 5G Systems Integration – Fujitsu ensures that the entire ecosystem is tested and integrated into a complete, high-performance solution. We use multivendor laboratory environments with configurations that mirror our customer deployments to perform functional, interoperability, performance and regression testing. As the single point of contact for the solution, Fujitsu identifies, tracks, manages, and closes all network issues.
- Secure Supply Chain – Network deployments can be complex, uncoordinated and slow, but recent geopolitical developments have brought new scrutiny to the security of supply chains, especially 5G supply chains. Fujitsu Secure Supply Chain Services not only simplifies, synchronizes and speeds your 5G deployments, but also uses Fujitsu world class physical, IT and logistics security to ensure your assets are never at risk.
- Single Point of Contact for Maintenance and Lifecycle Management – Fujitsu’s all-encompassing approach simplifies Open RAN operations and maintenance. Fujitsu provides a single point of contact for technical support, fault and performance monitoring, and issue resolution. We also provide solution configuration and software lifecycle management by testing all patches, new releases, and new products before deploying them.
Working as Partners to Ensure a Successful Transition
While transforming to an Open RAN architecture is not without challenges, Fujitsu’s expertise and experience enables operators to anticipate risks and roadblocks, making the transition as straightforward and seamless as possible. We act as a single point-of-contact for the entire transition, establishing clear accountability for development, integration and testing. Our goal is to simplify not just deployment but also long-term operation and maintenance of the solution, so that operators are free to focus on delivering the high-bandwidth, value-added services their customers require.
It all adds up to a best-of-breed technology offering, backed by best-in-class design, deployment and lifecycle support. With Fujitsu’s long history of delivering RAN technology and commitment to open networks, our Open RAN solution provides the highest network quality and reliability without vendor lock-in.